Special Coursework Types

Advanced Placement Credits

If you received college credit for your AP exam scores, you will list these credits as courses under the institution which first awarded you that credit. You should enter them under the first term of your freshman year as they appear on your transcript. For your grade, you should select “Credit”.  If no course prefix or number is issued, you may put “N/A” for “Not Applicable”. Select these courses as Study Abroad during the Review & Finalize My Transcripts step.

Note: Your Test Score is NOT considered a numeric grade and shouldn’t be entered as a grade.

College Courses Taken in High School (Dual Enrollment)

For classes given by a college to high school students or for which college credit was granted, these courses are considered “dual enrollment”. In this case, first add the institution which granted you the college credit in the Institutions Attended section. Next add the courses in your transcript entry under this dual enrollment college in the years and terms they were taken, not at the college which later granted you transfer credit for these classes. Select “Freshman” for academic status. You will also need to contact the dual enrollment college and request that a transcript of these courses be sent to VMCAS.

U.S. Military Coursework

Do NOT list any military courses completed or credits received unless they come from the U.S. military institutions listed in the “List of Colleges” in the Institutions attended section.

Foreign Coursework

Have your foreign transcript evaluated for U.S. equivalency and sent to VMCAS. You are not required to list courses from foreign institutions in your coursework section, nor will these be incorporated into your VMCAS GPA.

Repeated Courses

If you repeated a course at the same institution, select the final attempt as Repeated during the Review & Finalize My Transcripts step.

Courses where the name and number of the course is the same and is taken repeatedly but are not a “repeated attempt” at a course should not be selected as repeated. Examples include some courses in Physical Education, Music Instruction, Music Ensembles, Seminars, or Research.

Study Abroad

The procedure for Study Abroad coursework varies depending on your type of program and how it is reported by your domestic institution. Please go through the checklist below to determine how to report your experience and contact CASPA Customer Service with any questions.

IMPORTANT: This procedure has changed since last cycle. If you are re-applying, please read through this section carefully.

  • Did you study at any of the schools on our Overseas U.S. Institutions List? (you can view this list further down this page) If so:
  • Report the school from the list and list your courses under the Overseas school.
  • A transcript sent to VMCAS directly from the Overseas U.S. Institution is REQUIRED.
  • Common schools which fall under this category: RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF LONDON and JOHN CABOT UNIVERSITY
  • Select these courses as Study Abroad during the Review & Finalize My Transcripts step.
  • Did you use another U.S. school’s program to study abroad, or study via Semester At Sea, SIT or a CEA study abroad program in their Global Campus Network? If so:
  • Report the U.S. school whose program you used, and list your courses under this U.S. school.
  • A transcript sent to VMCAS directly from the U.S. school is REQUIRED.
  • COMMON SCHOOLS which students study through: ARCADIA UNIVERSITY, BUTLER UNIVERSITY, UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA (Semester at Sea), UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN (CEA Global Campus Network), and SIT (School for International Training). 
  • Select these courses as Study Abroad during the Review & Finalize My Transcripts step.
  • If your FULL CREDITS AND GRADES for these courses appear on your undergraduate transcript, then you should list these courses normally with the rest of your undergraduate work. For course type, you would select “Study Abroad.” No additional documentation is necessary. Do NOT report your study abroad school as a foreign institution. Acceptable grades include A-F, Credit, Pass, etc.  If your courses are recorded in foreign grades, please use the second option below.
  • If your  CREDITS AND/OR GRADES for these courses DO NOT APPEAR on your undergraduate transcript, you should report that you attended a foreign institution. You do not need to list your courses under the foreign school, as VMCAS does not allow foreign coursework to be recorded. DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTATION UNLESS AN EVALUATION IS REQUIRED BY YOUR VETERINARY PROGRAM. Please check with your PA program to determine if they will require a foreign evaluation.

IMPORTANT: VMCAS no longer recognizes study abroad company transcripts. If you studied abroad via a company such as IES, ISA, CIEE, DIS, etc., please use option #3 above to determine how to properly report your study abroad.


  • American College of Greece
  • American College in Jerusalem (closed in 1976)
  • American College of Switzerland
  • American College of Thessaloniki
  • American University of Armenia
  • American University Beirut
  • American University in Bulgaria
  • American University in Cairo (now known as Cairo American University)
  • American University of Paris
  • American University of Rome
  • American University of Sharjah
  • Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar
  • Franklin College Switzerland
  • Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in Qatar
  • Hebrew Union College (Jewish Institute of Religion)
  • Huron University in London
  • John Cabot University in Rome
  • Lebanese American University
  • McDaniel College in Budapest
  • Northwestern University in Qatar
  • Richmond The American International University of London
  • Texas A&M University at Qatar
  • United States International University in Nairobi, Kenya
  • Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar




TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15th, 2015 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time

VMCAS STRONGLY recommends you e-submit your application and have all transcripts and references received by August 15th, 2015 in order to allow time for the verification process.

Every year, VMCAS comes across applicants that wait until the last minute to submit their application. Statistics show that most applicants last year applied within the final two weeks of the cycle. NOTE: You should allow 10-15 minutes after hitting the e-submit button to complete the payment portion of the application.

VMCAS and the Veterinary schools recommend that you submit your application to VMCAS EARLY!! Applying before the last two weeks leading up to the deadline will help you avoid any unforeseen circumstances that may cause delays when completing the Web application. This may include: web congestion, internet service provider problems, or credit card challenges. Waiting until the final weeks of the cycle increases the risk of these issues and may prevent you from successfully submitting your application on time. This could cause you to have to wait another year to apply to veterinary school.

VMCAS rarely approves deadline extensions and the appeal process through the Admissions Committee can be quite lengthy. Please note that you can submit your completed application, including your three registered evaluators, to VMCAS prior to your evaluators submitting their eLORs. VMCAS and the Veterinary schools strongly recommend that you take this warning seriously. All time is Eastern Daylight Time and is determined by the clock on the application server. Server time is set by the official atomic clock at www.time.gov. It is your responsibility to meet the application deadline.