Academic Coursework

Expand All FAQ Questions

Q:I took a final exam in my course, does this make that course an Institutional/Departmental Exam?

A. No. You should only use the classification Institutional/Departmental Exam from an exam without taking a course. For example, if you tested out of a language requirement and those credits appear on your transcript

Q: Can you give me more information about the Academic Coursework section of the VMCAS Web application?


  • Carefully read all instructions in the VMCAS application. The following tips are designed to supplement and not replace those instructions.
  • Report all college and university courses attempted exactly as they appear on your original transcript. Do not try to list courses from memory! It is particularly important to list each course prefix and number accurately. For example, if your institution uses CHEM 101, you must enter CHEM 101 and not CHE 101 .
  • Begin with your earliest (oldest) transcript.
  • If you enrolled in a university for four years and completed a summer course at a community college between semesters, list the summer community college course after you list all courses from your primary university. In other words, report all non-transfer courses from your primary university’s transcript in full before you enter courses taken at another school.
  • If you did not receive credit for a course (if you withdrew, received an incomplete, or failed) and the course appears on your transcript, you still must report the course in Academic Coursework section.
  • If you completed a course at one institution and the credit transferred to another, list the course only once as reported on the transcript of the institution where you originally completed it. You must submit an official transcript to VMCAS for every college or university you have attended.
  • You must list college(s) in your the Institutions Attended sections before you are allowed to enter any grades for courses taken at that institution in the Course Work section.
  • Assign a VMCAS course subject for every course you have listed. The VMCAS prerequisite codes are included on the application.  VMCAS does not verify whether or not you have met the minimum course requirements for the schools to which you apply.


Q: Do I have to report coursework from all postsecondary schools attended in the Academic Coursework section?

A: YES. You must list every class you have taken after high school as they appear on your transcript. If you took classes during high school for college credit, and they appear on your college transcript, then you must list them as well.

Q: Do I need to list graduate, professional, or technical coursework?

A: YES. You must list the school’s information in the Institutions Attended section. List the courses taken at a graduate, professional, or technical school in the academic course work section.

Q: Do I need to list classes that I took overseas?

A: Please refer to this chart to determine proper entry for study abroad classes.

    1. If your study abroad experience DOES NOT fit into any of the categories BELOW and your FULL CREDITS AND GRADES for these courses APPEAR on your undergraduate transcript, then you should list these courses normally with the rest of your undergraduate work. For course type, you would select “Study Abroad.” No additional documentation is necessary. Do NOT report your study abroad school as a foreign institution.
    2. If your study abroad experience DOES NOT fit into any of the categories BELOW and your FULL CREDITS AND GRADES for these courses DO NOT APPEAR on your undergraduate transcript, you should report that you attended a foreign institution. List your courses under the foreign school with the classification description “Study Abroad.” DO NOT SEND ANY DOCUMENTATION UNLESS AN EVALUATION IS REQUIRED BY YOUR COLLEGE OF VETERINARY MEDICINE. Please check with your CVM to determine if they will require a foreign evaluation.
    Did you study at any of the schools on our Overseas U.S. Institutions List? If so, report the school from the list and list your coursework under the overseas school with the course type “Study Abroad.” You are required to have a transcript sent to VMCAS directly from the Overseas U.S. Institution. COMMON SCHOOLS which fall under this category include RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF LONDON and JOHN CABOT UNIVERSITY in Italy.
    Did you use another U.S. school’s program to study abroad? If so, report the U.S. school whose program you used, and list your coursework under this U.S. school with the course type “Study Abroad.” You are required to have a transcript sent to VMCAS from the U.S. school. COMMON SCHOOLS which students study through include ARCADIA UNIVERSITY, BUTLER UNIVERSITY, and SIT (School for International Training) which is on our school list under Vermont.
    Did you study abroad via IES (International Education of Students), CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange), CCCS (Center for Cross-Cultural Study), API (Academic Programs International), DIS (Danish Institute for Study Abroad), or SFS (School for Field Studies)? If so, list your coursework under your undergraduate institution with the course type “Study Abroad.” You are required to have the company send VMCAS a company transcript, which is NOT a copy of your foreign transcript. This company transcript will be uploaded under your undergraduate school and is considered an addendum to your regular transcript. Do NOT list the company as an institution attended. If you did not use any of the companies listed above, please proceed to question #4 below:
    Did you study abroad via ISA (International Studies Abroad) or ASA (Academic Studies Abroad)? If so, you should report that you attended a foreign institution and list your study abroad courses under the foreign school with the classification “Study Abroad.” You should send VMCAS your ISA or ASA transcript (NOT your foreign transcript), which will be uploaded under the foreign school and is considered the equivalent of a foreign evaluation.

For foreign coursework which was not part of a study abroad, have your foreign transcript evaluated for U.S. equivalency and sent to VMCAS. You are not required to list courses from foreign institutions in your coursework section, nor will these be incorporated into your VMCAS GPA. Below is a list of some of the foreign transcript evaluation services most commonly seen by VMCAS.

Josef Silny & Associates, Inc.
International Education Consultants
7101 SW 102 Avenue
Miami, FL 33173
Phone: (305) 273-1616
Fax: (305) 273-1338
Web site:


World Education Services, Inc.
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Phone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6100
(800) 937-3895
Web site:


Office of International Education Services
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and
Admissions Officers
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 520
Washington, DC 20036-1135
Phone: (202) 293-9161
Fax: (202) 822-3940
Web site:


Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
(414) 289-3400


International Education Research Foundation (IERF)
Post Office Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231
(310) 258-9451

Q: How do I list transfer courses?

A: If you transferred from one school to another, the credits earned at the first school may appear as transfer credit on the second school’s transcript. In this case, you would not enter the courses under the second school. You must provide transcripts for each postsecondary institution, regardless of whether the credits transferred. Be sure to list all schools you attended in both the Institutions Attended section.

Q: How do I report repeated courses in the Academic Coursework section?

A: List each time you took the course as it appears on your transcript. When entering the first instance of a class you’ve repeated, select “Not Applicable” for the Classification Description. Select “Repeated” for the Classification Description for the final attempt of your course.

Q: Do I report credits attempted or credits earned in the Academic Coursework section?

A: If your transcript lists both credits attempted and credits earned, please list the credits attempted.

Q: What are the definitions of the different VMCAS Course Subjects?

A: VMCAS cannot determine if applicants have met minimum course prerequisites or whether a particular course fulfills a specific college course prerequisite. Please contact your selected veterinary colleges if you have questions about which VMCAS prerequisite code to use.  Use the course subject list to determine the best fit for your course.